Sunday, August 24, 2008

LECTURE 04

The focus of this lecture was on identity, and my perspective of the lecture was the links between identity and discourses that can be achieved through successful branding. My most recent experience with identity design involved developing a marketing campaign for an up and coming NGO, part of this marketing campaign included developing logos, colour schemes, advertising mediums and the cultural associations behind the brand.

I could relate to the two definitions of cultural identity provided as it helped me to categorize the processes I use when brain storming ideas and concepts when developing an identity for the NGO. Cultural identity is important as it aligns the target market to the design and creates meaningful associations. For instance the particular NGO I am working with wants to align itself with young adults particularly young adults who are drawn to charitable causes, to promote the concept the NGO is holding launch party at a major valley club to attract this target market. For this to be successful I am working on design ideas and promotion campaigns which specifically appeal to this market drawing influences from successful fashion, music and current design trends.

The idea of an abstract corporate identity also appeals to me in that an abstract design is not limited to a single idea, but has the potential to branch off and diversify into different areas whilst being linked to an overall theme or concept. I felt particularly drawn to the channel 4 motion graphic examples given in the lecture, the concept for each of the graphics evoked calming, etherial and surreal emotions which created an overall abstract identity but the association with the tv channel was still prominent.

No comments: